Monday, October 29, 2007

Military Life

Ok this post is kind of a vent in a way. I see so much, read so much and hear so much and it is just driving me nuts. I know I may offend some but I just feel I need to say what I need to say. This is not directed at any one person in particular but definitely a good read for those still very new to be associated with the military in some way shape or form. Now yes I know I am still very new but trust me I have a lot more first hand knowledge and so on.

To the parents, step parents and parents in law, I have no idea what it feels like to have a child so far away and doing a job that can put them in danger and has hard as it is, the best thing you can do is stay positive, pray and just think to yourself they are only doing a job. To the siblings, step siblings, sibling in laws and step sibling in laws, how cool to have someone you know from your own family to be venturing out into a new area. I know I would have a 100 different questions I would want to ask. Not saying I myself don't mess that up, but you know what, we really can't ask them. As bad as we want to, we can't. You might think, well I'm just having a conversation with him on chat or through email, just us. WRONG! More then likely, you emails, chats and blog comments are getting read by others. Not only can our own government get to them, but because they are on their internet, their government could to. OPSEC rules!

RULES OF OPSEC
1. Don't discuss current or future destinations or ports of call.
2. Don't discuss current or future operations or missions.
3. Don't discuss current or future dates and times of when military will be.
in port or conducting exercises.
4. Don't discuss readiness issues and numbers.
5. Don't discuss specific training equipment.
6. Don't discuss people's names and billets in conjunction with operations.
7. Don't speculate about current or future operations.
8. Don't spread rumors about current, future, or past operations or
movements.
9. Don't assume the enemy is not trying to collect information on you; he is.
10. Be smart, use your head, and always think OPSEC when using email, phone, chat rooms and message boards.

In no way am I saying this is all easy for me and yes I can oops or nearly oops at times and try and ask something. The best thing in the world to do is pray! Next just tell yourself, he is at work. Try and stay positive and busy and not over think it all, yeah, not an easy thing but it will help. Keeping all this in mind, will help keep our soldiers safe. Every time you ask something you really should or try to talk about something, you are putting them in danger. Not only that, some things could even lead to treason on our country and that isn't a good thing either. So remember, keep it plane jane and everything will be good. Keep on praying and trying to think good thoughts everyone! Every little bit helps!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Diana:

Good Post. Dad and I will keep
these things in mind. Actually,
the 20 years uncle Ken was in the
airforce including Viet Nam--we got
letters from him that mostly included
how he was and asking questions about
us. He never told us anything about
what he did, etc. In fact, he has
only told us a couple things in the
last couple of years and still nothing in detail. Love and prayers always, all ways, mom & dad

Mom Jones said...

OK. We will follow these rules closely. I've been away for a few days (in Detroit) and didn't have time to respond. We'll be careful. Appreciate your concern, Diana.